Windowsills are one of the usual places where mold can form. And, once it’s there, mold can be quite difficult to remove. That is why experts always suggest that prevention is always the best approach.
Understanding how mold grows on windowsills is a good first step.
Why Mold Growth Happens
Mold forms on wood windowsills when moisture builds up around these areas. This moisture can be an effect of the humid air outside, plumbing leaks or even cooking steam. While condensation on windows is not always a bad sign, it can become a problem when moisture is allowed to sit on the windowsill for a long period. This then creates a breeding ground for mold.
If you are already dealing with moldy windowsills, it might be best to call a professional to take care of mold removal for you. Since they have the knowledge, tools and equipment to perform the job, you can have peace of mind that it will be done safely and thoroughly,
Ways to Prevent Mold on Windowsills
These tips below will help you prevent mold growth:
1. Regularly clean your windows, inside and out.
2. Wipe off condensation every time you see it forming on your windowsills.
3. Caulk the edges of your windows to prevent leaks.
4. Keep your ceiling vents open all the time.
5. Always use your bathroom fan during showers and your exhaust fan during cooking sessions.
6. Use a dehumidifier in rooms that tend to stay damp for prolonged periods. These may include your basement and bathroom.
Renewal by Andersen® of Arkansas is a local company specializing in window and new door installation. Trained and experienced, our team can ensure superior service in every aspect of your project. Call us at (479) 431-3555, or fill out our contact form to request a free quote. We serve customers in Springdale, AR.