Your entry door connects your home’s interior with the outside, but that’s not the only thing it does. With the right considerations, your entry door can also increase curb appeal, improve energy efficiency and prevent security risks. That’s why you’ll want to keep it in good shape all year round, which is simple enough to do – if you follow the below tips.
Clean the Entry Door Periodically
Take some time to do a bit of cleanup of your entry door on both sides. Do this a couple of times a year to preserve its look and prevent any issues from forming. Here’s how to properly do it:
1. Use only a mild cleaning solution, such as diluted dish soap or baby shampoo, for the task.
2. Avoid using abrasive tools. Instead, use lint-free cloths and sponges because they won’t scratch, leave marks or peel the protective coating on your entry door.
3. Don’t use too much water when cleaning the entry door to prevent pooling anywhere near it. This is especially crucial if you have a wood door, which is susceptible to moisture damage. Use a water spray bottle instead.
4. When cleaning your entry door, make sure to follow the instructions provided by your door manufacturer.
5. Never use a power washer or garden hose to rinse your entry door to keep water from entering your home via the seams.
6. Only use manufacturer-approved glass cleaner on your door’s glass panels.
Be on the Lookout for Any Signs of Damage
Aside from cleaning your entry door, make sure to inspect it for signs of damage. This shouldn’t be limited to the door unit itself: check the hardware, weather stripping and other components, as well. Damage and performance issues are not uncommon with entry doors, so watch out for these telltale signs:
1. Cracks in the framing material and glass
2. Faded, peeling, chipped or cracked door finish
3. Condensation between the glass panels
4. Splitting, mold, discoloration or rot in the door material
5. Large holes and other openings
6. Old and inoperable hardware
Entry doors fail eventually. When no amount of maintenance can save the unit, turn only to Renewal by Andersen® of Arkansas for a more permanent solution. Aside from new window installation, we can also handle your door replacement needs. We offer the highest quality products and workmanship. We serve Fayetteville, AR, and the surrounding areas. Call us today at (479) 431-3555, or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation.